Is depth in dynasty overrated?

Homepage Forums Dynasty Is depth in dynasty overrated?

Do I trade Pickens and 1.6 for Achane?

You must be logged in to participate.
  • #1 Yes, acquire Achane.
  • #2 No, Acquire Odunze. Keep Pickens
  • #3 No, acquire either Brooks or Benson. Keep Pickens
Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
      Hess
      Participant

I know that I’ve been asking the same question for the last few weeks, and ultimately it boils down to this? Is depth in dynasty overrated? I have a league that you can carry 23 roster spots, but would you rather have a 6 or 7 wrs that you can play and compete with for 6-10 years or rely on just 1 extra guy and smash guys for 3 or 4 years?
      (For reference:
      my rbs are Breece, Zamir, Javonte, Pierce, Keaton, McLaughlin and Kendre Miller
      wrs are MHJ, Devonta, Garrett Wilson, Tank Dell, George Pickens, JSN

I was proposed an offer to acquire Devon Achane for Pickens and my 1.06 (Odunze, Benson and Brooks) may all be there. I told the guy to wait until our draft. I can probably get Wright for a handcuff too later in the draft.

Let me know you’re thoughts.

Charles Fox
      Participant

I am a huge believer in depth. That said what are your starting requirements? Also your scoring. If it is NoPPR you can’t have too many RBs

After Breece and MAYBE Zamir the rest of your RBs are only hopefuls IMO and perhaps that is true of Zamir. Javonte can’t stay healthy. Pierce lost his job. Keaton is behind Henry for who know how long.

I own Breece, Bijan, Achane, Pollard and some hopefuls in a NoPPR league where I can’t start more than 2 RBs and I still am not comfortable. Roster is below.

Have to trim the roster to 23 before the late August draft. Was hoping to sell Pollard, but now I may roll with him since Achane is no longer a lock for points with White on the roster. Abanikanda was my Breece protection, but Braelon is a fly in that ointment. I will try to sell McLaughlin, Keaton and Chase Brown to the owners who might want the handcuff

Josh Allen
      Justin Herbert
      Will Levis

Bijan Robinson
      Breece Hall
      Tony Pollard
      De’Von Achane
      Tyler Allgeier
      J.K. Dobbins
      Israel Abanikanda
      Keaton Mitchell
      Chase Brown
      Jaleel McLaughlin

CeeDee Lamb
      A.J. Brown
      Nico Collins
      Christian Watson
      Romeo Doubs
      Khalil Shakir
      Trey Palmer
      Alec Pierce
      Parker Washington

Mark Andrews
      Dalton Kincaid
      Kyle Pitts
      Pat Freiermuth

Jason Myers

Jets
      Falcons

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by Charles Fox.
      • This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by Charles Fox.
      tbl
      Participant

Depth is always important, and you are showing why with this move. By trading away a player like Pickens at a position of depth for you, it allows you to acquire a stud to add depth to a position of need for you. This is a no brainer mover for me. Much rather trust Achane as my #2 than White or Williams.

Hess
      Participant

1 qb
      2 rb
      3 wr
      1 te
      1 flex (wr/te/rb)

It is full ppr.

Charles Fox
      Participant

DLF’s trade calc has that trade 702.5 to 572 against the trade
      KTC’s trade calc has that trade 10,356 to 5113 against
      Smitty calc has it 56 to 49 in favor of the trade… BUT Smitty is still sky high on Achane’s production and asserts that White will impact Mostert and not Achane. Achane is the “wide back” for Miami

I think that I would rather win for 3 or 4 years than simply compete for 6 or 7. I think that trade gives you the most upside to win now

Questions surround Pickens production with Russell Wilson at QB although I still like Russ. But, I would hate to have to depend on any of your RBs not named Breece. The 1.06 is still a dart throw albeit a nice one.

So despite the perceived trade values in the calcs I think I would make it and I think it would be Smitty APPROVED

Hess
      Participant
      On Charles Fox said

<p>DLF’s trade calc has that trade 702.5 to 572 against the trade
      KTC’s trade calc has that trade 10,356 to 5113 against
      Smitty calc has it 56 to 49 in favor of the trade… BUT Smitty is still sky high on Achane’s production and asserts that White will impact Mostert and not Achane. Achane is the “wide back” for Miami</p>
      <p>I think that I would rather win for 3 or 4 years than simply compete for 6 or 7. I think that trade gives you the most upside to win now</p>
      <p>Questions surround Pickens production with Russell Wilson at QB although I still like Russ. But, I would hate to have to depend on any of your RBs not named Breece. The 1.06 is still a dart throw albeit a nice one.</p>
      <p>So despite the perceived trade values in the calcs I think I would make it and I think it would be Smitty APPROVED</p>

There are times that you need to overpay in fantasy. That’s why you try to acquire a lot of talent and then if the opportunity presents itself, you go for it. I was debating if this is THE situation to do it. I am going for it. I’ll grab Achane and then hope that Jaylen Wright is there at 22 overall.

DrOberho
      Participant

Depth is good to have but getting a top talent trumps depth.

Hess
      Participant

Well. I agreed in principle to obtain Achane. Hopefully, Wright is available at pick 22 in rookie draft. Trades open back up Weds so as long as guys don’t veto it I’ll obtain Achane for Pickens and the 1.6.

Rob Lazer
      Participant

I give you a less than 0.5% chance of landing Jaylen Wright at pick 22. Last year there was 4 really good te’s in the draft, so 4 went in a majority of all rookie drafts last year in the 1st 2 rounds. Bowers should be somewhere in the pick 4 to 8 range and there is a strong chance he the only te taken the 1st 2 rounds. This isn’t Superflex, so I truly believe that at the most 4 qbs go in the 1st 2 rounds unless you live in the greater Denver or Atlanta area. There are 3 running backs I would feel generally safe taking in front of him. I just don’t see 13 wrs going before the 4th rb who is 1 injury or 2025 season away from having a significant role in a high powered offense.

Hess
      Participant
      On Rob Lazer said

<p>I give you a less than 0.5% chance of landing Jaylen Wright at pick 22. Last year there was 4 really good te’s in the draft, so 4 went in a majority of all rookie drafts last year in the 1st 2 rounds. Bowers should be somewhere in the pick 4 to 8 range and there is a strong chance he the only te taken the 1st 2 rounds. This isn’t Superflex, so I truly believe that at the most 4 qbs go in the 1st 2 rounds unless you live in the greater Denver or Atlanta area. There are 3 running backs I would feel generally safe taking in front of him. I just don’t see 13 wrs going before the 4th rb who is 1 injury or 2025 season away from having a significant role in a high powered offense.</p>

Threw an offer to a guy with little starting rbs (brian rob and brooks at pick 2 or 3 overall). Javonte and Mclaughlin and pick 22 for pick 12 and 17. I’ll look for best available at 12 and jump on Wright at 17

Charles Fox
      Participant

Good luck with that. I own Achane and was hoping to snag Wright at pick 16. But he went at pick 14. So I settled for Adonai Mitchell. I could have taken Marshawn Lloyd at 16 and maybe should have. Lloyd went at 17. Brooks and Benson went at 6 and 7 to the same team owner.

I ddid manage to get Buckey Irving at pick 28 and Braelon Allen at 30 and Guerendo at 36. I own Breece and Rachaad White and wanted the handcuffs since Abanikanda and Sean Tucker aren’t panning out.

I normally don’t draft players who are already 24 especially at RB. But I made and exception for Guerendo. I’m thinking he has a shot at the Niners’ RB2 if not RB1 considering McCaffrey’s age and injury history.

7 of my 10 RBs all play for only 3 teams, but I’ve got the cuffs all sewn up. I also own Dameon Pierce and Michael Carter, but I don’t think I will get anything for them. Hoping for injuries to McCaffrey and Mixon 😉

Charles Fox
      Participant

I did get BTJ at 1.04. I passed on Bowers because I own Pitts and needed WRs worse. Could have sold Pitts for 1.11 and 2.05, but I decided I like Pitts situation better.

Current team – Gotta trim down to 25 before the season

Stroud, C.J. HOU QB
      Lawrence, Trevor JAC QB

Hall, Breece NYJ RB
      Abanikanda, Israel NYJ RB
      Braelon Allen NYJ RB –Pick 3.06
      White, Rachaad TBB RB
      Buckey Irving TB RB – – Pick 3.04
      Tucker, Sean TB RB
      Achane, De’Von MIA RB
      Isaiah Guerendo SF RB – – Pick 3.12
      Carter, Michael ARI RB
      Pierce, Dameon HOU RB

Collins, Nico HOU WR
      Metcalf, DK SEA WR
      Brian Thomas Jr. JAC WR- – Pick 1.04
      Adonai Mitchell IND WR – – Pick 2.04
      Shaheed, Rashid NOS WR
      Johnston, Quentin LAC WR
      Metchie, John HOU WR
      Mims, Marvin DEN WR
      Palmer, Trey TBB WR
      Wicks, Dontayvion GBP WR

Pitts, Kyle ATL TE
      Schultz, Dalton HOU TE
      Daniel Bellinger – NYG TE – – Pick 5.04 – Come on Waller make up your mind. Theo Johnson went at 5.03, but I had already decided on Bellinger ahead of him We shall see.
      Woods, Jelani IND TE
      Knox, Dawson BUF TE

Aubrey, Brandon DAL PK
      Cowboys, Dallas DAL Def
      Jaguars, Jacksonville JAC Def

• This reply was modified 5 days, 14 hours ago by Charles Fox.
      Hess
      Participant
      On Charles Fox said

<p>I did get BTJ at 1.04. I passed on Bowers because I own Pitts and needed WRs worse. Could have sold Pitts for 1.11 and 2.05, but I decided I like Pitts situation better.</p>
      <p>Current team – Gotta trim down to 25 before the season</p>
      <p>Stroud, C.J. HOU QB
      Lawrence, Trevor JAC QB</p>
      <p>Hall, Breece NYJ RB
      Abanikanda, Israel NYJ RB
      Braelon Allen NYJ RB –Pick 3.06
      White, Rachaad TBB RB
      Buckey Irving TB RB – – Pick 3.04
      Tucker, Sean TB RB
      Achane, De’Von MIA RB
      Isaiah Guerendo SF RB – – Pick 3.12
      Carter, Michael ARI RB
      Pierce, Dameon HOU RB</p>
      <p>Collins, Nico HOU WR
      Metcalf, DK SEA WR
      Brian Thomas Jr. JAC WR- – Pick 1.04
      Adonai Mitchell IND WR – – Pick 2.04
      Shaheed, Rashid NOS WR
      Johnston, Quentin LAC WR
      Metchie, John HOU WR
      Mims, Marvin DEN WR
      Palmer, Trey TBB WR
      Wicks, Dontayvion GBP WR</p>
      <p>Pitts, Kyle ATL TE
      Schultz, Dalton HOU TE
      Daniel Bellinger – NYG TE – – Pick 5.04 – Come on Waller make up your mind. Theo Johnson went at 5.03, but I had already decided on Bellinger ahead of him We shall see.
      Woods, Jelani IND TE
      Knox, Dawson BUF TE</p>
      <p>Aubrey, Brandon DAL PK
      Cowboys, Dallas DAL Def
      Jaguars, Jacksonville JAC Def</p>

I got ripped apart on Discord from a guy saying that I overpaid heavily for Achane. Said Achane was too small and they drafted a rb to essentially replace him.

Charles Fox
      Participant

Whatever… I have withdrawn from that Discord because I flat don’t like most of the posters. I do read for news so I still lurk, but I stopped posting anywhere but in the LEGACY section and in “Chuckey’s Corner” although I have not put up a musical tribute for several months

Smitty VOCIFEROUSLY disagrees with whomever posted that. I watched a Smitty youtube broadcast where he asserts that Jalen Wright will impact Mostert more so than Achane. Smitty contends that Achane’s role is like Deebo’s role as the wide back.

Half of the very few discord posters are self-absorbed and IMO the site has become a clique although I don’t see too many F-Bombs anymore.

Charles Fox
      Participant

BTW I just found ClaytonHartley’s diatribe. Again… WHATEVER. He seems to have lowered himself to fit into the clique.

• This reply was modified 4 days, 1 hour ago by Charles Fox.
      Hess
      Participant
      On Charles Fox said

<p>BTW I just found ClaytonHartley’s diatribe. Again… WHATEVER. He seems to have lowered himself to fit into the clique.</p>

Lol. I’m cattykid on there. I try to offer positive feedback and give what I’d do. A lot of times I’m thinking similar with smitty.
      I have asked smitty about the deal with a super chat and he did side achane but it was close

Charles Fox
      Participant

Ya… you told me who you were. You are one of the few people I like at the Discord site. Glad you are here!

I hate the Discord structure. I have heve nothing but contempt for the pottie mouths. They even had the temerity to criticize ClaytonHartley for his decision to remain celebate. That was some months ago.

Like I said, I only post in the Legacy channel and my corner that Smitty built for me.

• This reply was modified 3 days, 16 hours ago by Charles Fox.
      Hess
      Participant
      On Charles Fox said

<p>Ya… you told me who you were. You are one of the few people I like at the Discord site. Glad you are here!</p>
      <p>I hate the Discord structure. I have heve nothing but contempt for the pottie mouths. They even had the temerity to criticize ClaytonHartley for his decision to remain celebate. That was some months ago.</p>
      <p>Like I said, I only post in the Legacy channel and my corner that Smitty built for me.</p>

I made the deal in my dynasty league that I am commissioner. Guys are giving me grief, because they’re saying that I trade too much and they don’t even know all the guys in the league. Now we share a text chain and all work at the same building. I made it clear when trades open back up and date of the draft etc. Do you have issues with this? I am really active in dynasty and tear down and build up teams yearly. We do have a veto system where 4 guys are needed to veto any trade.

• This reply was modified 3 days, 1 hour ago by Hess.
      Charles Fox
      Participant

Ya… I am the commish in a 10-Team NoPPR d-League with 28 + 3 any injury spots.

Last year I sold MY KWIII + Hockenson + 1.08 + 2.08 HIS 1.01 + 2.01. Had to trim 8 players before the draft and I had cold feet on KWIII. Got Bijan and Achane

Year before I sold MY Gainwell, DHop, Gesicki 1.07, 2.07 for HIS 1.01 and 2.01 Got Breece and I don’t remember who

• This reply was modified 2 days, 20 hours ago by Charles Fox.
Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.